Saturday, December 12, 2020

A HUGE Unexpected Surprise!

 Wow, so I have to admit I wasn't prepared for the news I got last night.  I think I'm still in a bit of shock this morning...  So I've doing a ketogenic (keto) diet off and on for the last two months or so.  Mostly "off" if I'm totally honest.   But during the times I have been on it, I've followed the rules pretty closely.  

Six months ago, back on June 8th, I decided to do an initial weigh in.  I say to my shame that with all the challenges (see my blog from a few days ago), I had let myself gain a lot of weight. I had a scale that would register up to 400 lbs (181 kg), and I had exceed that scale's limit. Ugh.  So back in June I bought another scale and had to weigh myself on both at the same time to get my starting point.  

Now your weight shifts constantly so neither of the scales wouldn't stop on any number, so they were constantly changing.  So I decided to video the displays and when I uploaded the video, I was able to pause every few seconds, add up the numbers and then take an average of the results.  At that time it was 421.2 lbs (191 kg).  I watched the June 8th video and it was obvious I was still having a tough time with everything.

So I'm certain in the months between June and October that I gained weight.  There's no doubt in my mind of that, at least a few pounds, but likely more than a few.  But for the sake of accountability I will use 421.2 as my official starting point on June 8, 2020. 

The last few weeks, since probably two weeks before the election, I was off my diet.  It was such a stressful time and I couldn't stay on the plan and deal with the insanity of the state of our country and the election.  But I started my diet again about 10 days ago.  My goal (and I thought I would have to lose 25-30 pounds) was to get below 400 by the end of the 2020.  

So last night I decided to weigh in again to see where I was at.  For the first time, in the last week or so, I could tell I had been losing some weight, but I also knew that I had been very bad there for several months.  So I did the same thing again, two scales, video and stopping every few seconds and add the numbers, do an average, etc.  And I couldn't believe what I saw!  I was thinking that I was adding incorrectly!  But it came out at 403.2 pounds!  That's a loss of 18 pounds officially, and likely more unofficially!  And it put me only three pounds from my first goal!  And I still had 20 days until the end of the month!  For that kind of number, it had to be God!  Thank you, God!!

Now I know this is going to sound strange, and maybe even a little bit controversial, but I've learned from several trustworthy sources (a doctor and a biologist) that when you're first starting the keto diet, they suggest not doing intense workouts because it can kick you out of ketosis (the central piece to the keto diet that makes you lose weight).  But I have been more active, walking more, working on my car, and just getting more movement generally and not being as sedentary. After the first phase, you can start being more active, doing more workouts, etc.  Either way, I think that would be more difficult for me right now anyway, so I'm okay with that. 

But for now I'm just really excited.  I was completely unprepared for the news that I had come this far already.  I was SOOO tempted last night to go get an ice cream or a pizza or something, but decided to have some berries instead.  And they were pretty delish.  I had already had my (not really allowed) cheat day two days ago because I went to the German store and couldn't refuse some jelly filled gingerbread, a bar of Ritter Sport (strawberry) and a few Hanutas. So I couldn't justify another cheat day. 

When my dad was still alive, every year I never knew what to get him and my stepmom, so I would bring, or send, lots of German Christmas treats for us all to enjoy together.  And they were always a huge hit! It's one of the few Christmas traditions I have, with the other being that I would bring a fruit pie as I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin or pecan pie. (And the fruit pie was ALWAYS the first one eaten) Either way, I don't regret the cheat day and I jumped back on the plan the next day, albeit with some more sugar cravings!  Oh well, life goes on.  

So I feel pretty motivated now and I hope that I will, in fact, meet my goal for this month.  So I'm going to UN-officially change my goal to 390 by the end of December. That's the weight at which I still felt pretty functional.  This last year, I have felt very non-functional, so I'm excited to hit that modified goal! 

And I can't wait to get rid of one of my scales, hopefully in the next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment