Monday, October 31, 2011

Trader Joe's Spokane & Halloween 2011

Hey all, thanks for looking in! It's been quite an eventful last week or two (or 16!). It's finally here, Trader Joe's has officially opened in Spokane! After 9 long years of waiting, they opened last Friday, 10/28!!! So, thanks to a friend of mine who is a cameraman for KREM 2 news, he mentioned that he would be at the opening a little early, about 5:30a.m. I thought that instead of trying to go after work (6pm), maybe it would be better to go before it opens... So I got up about 5:30 and was at the store just past 6:30. It was pretty cold and dark when I got there, probably a little above freezing... I was a little bit surprised to see only about 15 people ahead of me. So we waited about 1 hour 20 minutes and they opened the doors about 5 minutes early! By the time they opened, I was pretty cold, despite Forza providing some free coffee... and the line had stretched at least 100 yards and it was a few people wide. Even John Myers showed up and I (and the awesome people around me) allowed him to cut in line.

I grabbed a cart, which was a feat in and of itself, and was met by the applause of all the employees and was given a lei! Within just a few minutes, it became clear to me that it was getting crowded fast! I grabbed 6 or 7 items, especially frozen items, and decided to try to be the first to check out. I was convinced that I was first, but then later found out that two of the guys I was in line with were the first two. I think I was Spokane's #3 Trader Joe's customer. I was interviewed in line with another lady by KREM's Erik Loney and again when I was checking out and they actually used excerpts from both interviews in their broadcast. Mom seems to think I'm a celebrity now. I don't think so, not by a longshot... But tons of fun nonetheless.

After about 7 minutes in the store, I exited through the throng entering the store. I was parked right across the way and was almost run over by a lady in a newer green CR-V who was not paying attention and waving at someone. Sheesh!!! When I got to my car, this guy approached me very non-chalantly and started asking me some questions. I noticed his jacket had a small "Inlander" logo on it and he confirmed that was where he was from. After I got home, I unloaded my plunder and soaked it all in. FINALLY!!! I can go to TJ's anytime I want now!! Here are the links to the news reports:
http://www.kxly.com/localvideo/index.html?v=27694
and
http://www.khq.com/category/195686/video-landing-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=6396016#.Tq3Gv5jxFRI.facebook

The next day we had the Singles and Campus' Halloween Party. It was really fun, it had lots of cool decorations, contests, X-Factor-like eating challenge, pumpkin carving, dancing and a costume contest. This year, I bought the most epic costume EVER... woopie cushion!!! My favorite costume!!! I really shouldn't have spent the money, but the reactions were worth it! Priceless!!!! I loved getting hugs from everyone at church, because I had to make the noises. Just had to!

So a quick update on the progress with the possible move to Germany.... I contacted the Goethe Institute in Atlanta (was the only one open at the time I called at 6am -- don't ask...) Anyway, they sent me the placement test to determine which program placement test I need to take. I took it and out of six levels, they said I should take #4 or #5 (#6 was basically a native speaker)! I was so encouraged after 19 years that I still remembered so much German! Thanks God! I found out that I can't take the placement test at UW/Seattle unless I want to wait until late May. Ugh! I may have to go to SF, CA to take it (likely the cheapest option). Anyway, I will keep you all updated as I know more.

Until then, buenos nachos!!! LOL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment