Sunday, June 9, 2013

Small Zweibrücken Reunion in Berlin

I was certainly encouraged that someone I went to high school with contacted me today (he also contacted me about two weeks ago about it as well). He lives in London currently and he let me know he was in Berlin for business the next couple days.  So we got together on the Kurfürstendamm near his hotel and grabbed a bratwurst then sat down at one of my favorite hangouts, the Alt Berliner Biersalon for a beer. Did I mention that today marks 25 years since the last day of classes at our high school?  Coincidence? I think not.  :)

Anyway, so honestly James and I didn't know each other that well, but we still had a great time talking about what has happened to the both of us in the last 27 years.  We both went to college in Munich (for a short time we were there at the same time), and we both lived in Seattle as well at the same time for a few years in the meantime.  It was cool to catch up.  He had two other brothers that were there in high school the same time I was there and we all knew each other, but not really well.  

So we sat down for a beer, we were on the sidewalk seating very close to where people were walking by, and it started to rain a bit.  Then it began to rain hard, so they opened a VERY large awning that stretched probably 30 feet, but not quite enough to cover the front row.  Since James and I lived in Seattle, we stuck out the little bit of rain, even with an umbrella for a few minutes, but went under the awning after the deluge began.  A couple offered to share their table with us wet folk and we couldn't say no.  It was fun anyway.  Thanks for hanging out with me and letting me know you were in town, James!  Honestly, I had totally forgotten about it....

Anyway, as I was going to meet him, coming up out of the subway station I realized there was some kind of street party going on.  When I got to the street level, I realized it was a car show!!!!  I was so excited because I LOOOOVE old cars and rarely get to see the old European ones, so I was in heaven! They had closed of the Ku-damm (one of Berlin's main boulevards) and I got there early, so I was able to walk around a little bit.  After I got James as we were talking, I was also snapping photos of the cars... :) I was listening to him though.... I really was.  I'll try to post some pics tomorrow if I have some time after the job search.

Also today, Micah has been trying to save the last chocolate chip cookie she made a couple days ago for me, and wasn't sure if she could do it, but she brought it to church today and it was amazing.  Thanks, Micah, you're the best!!!

I have to say one last thing.  The weather has been very nice the past few days, but it has been incredibly humid.  I need to get used to this again because I have been in dry Spokane for the last 10 years.  I hope I can get used to it quickly!

So that's it from Berlin for tonight. Have a great week everyone and thanks for looking in on me.  As of today, almost 1800 hits on this blog!!  You guys are amazing! Thanks...

No comments:

Post a Comment