Monday, June 3, 2013

"You're Only Human"

I was listening to my iTunes today and the Billy Joel Song "You're Only Human (Second Wind)" came on.  I had just been praying for God to give me some perspective about my being here, about making mistakes and being focused on the wrong things. I've been struggling with some things here that have been very intense in the past few days.  It's really my own sinful nature...

I believe God put that scripture in Eph. 6:12 on my heart which says, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood (other people who might sin against us, purity struggles, etc.) but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms (temptations from satan)." (NIV)  Okay, to some my notes in parentheses may just sound weird, but it's really true.  I talked a little bit before about when you're trying to do something positive, losing weight for instance, that every possible (and seemingly impossible) distraction and obstacle comes up to derail your progress.  Am I right?

Anyway, that Billy Joel song came on and I really feel like the song was written about my life.  It's so crazy how accurate and painful it was to my heart.  On the other side, though, the theme of the song is about the fact that we ARE just humans, we're going to make mistakes. The tone of the song is so positive and it sounds like it was just fun to record the song (he actually laughs in the song).

The part of the song that just broke my heart was this section:
I survived all those long lonely days
When it seemed I did not have a friend
Cause all I needed was a little faith
So I could catch my breath and face the world again.

It just reminded me that I've come a LONG way to get here.  I'm still fighting my demons but I'm so encouraged that I'm here, that God has been extremely patient and forgiving to me.  I just have to remember what my life is about.  It's not about me or my comfort or my pleasure, it's about glorifying God.  This song has brought me to tears today numerous times, in a good way.  

I'm only human, I can choose today to give in to fear or my temptations, or I can catch my breath and face the world again.  Thanks Billy Joel, I've always loved your music since I was a kid.  Today I heard God's voice through your music and am going to be a lifelong fan of that song.   

I will be doing another update soon, hopefully tonight.  Thanks for checking in on me.  Please be praying for me to find work this week!  

Here are the full lyrics of that song (taken from metrolyrics.com): 

You're having a hard time and lately you don't feel so goodYou're getting a bad reputation in your neighborhoodIt's alright, it's alrightSometimes that's what it takesYou're only human, you're allowed to make your share of mistakesYou better believe there will be times in your lifeWhen you'll be feeling like a stumbling foolSo take it from me you'll learn more from your accidentsThan anything that you could ever learn at school
Don't forget your second windSooner of later you'll get your second wind
It's not always easy to be living in this world of painYou're gonna be crashing into stone walls again and againIt's alright, it's alrightThough you feel your heart breakYou're only human, you're gonna have to deal with heartache
Just like a boxer in a title fightYou got to walk in that ring all aloneYou're not the only one who's made mistakesBut they're the only thing that you can truly call your own
Don't forget your second windWait in that corner until that breeze blows in
You've been keeping to yourself these daysCause you're thinking everything's gone wrongSometimes you just want to lay down and dieThat emotion can be so strongBut hold onTill that old second wind comes along
You probably don't want to hear advice from someone elseBut I wouldn't be telling you if I hadn't been there myselfIt's alright, it's alrightSometimes that's all it takesWe're only humanWe're supposed to make mistakesBut I survived all those long lonely daysWhen it seemed I did not have a friendCause all I needed was a little faithSo I could catch my breath and face the world again
Don't forget your second windSooner or later you'll feel that momentum kick inDon't forget your second windSooner or later you'll feel that momentum kick in

No comments:

Post a Comment