Saturday, December 21, 2013

Staying in Germany Four More Weeks!

I've definitely been letting the events of the past few days sink in.  This has been a very "interesting" week.  The roller coaster again....

Where do I start?  Well, I guess I will just share how much I really enjoy this time of year in Germany.  It's so beautiful and I have visited 12 Christmas markets between Berlin and my trip to Munich a couple weeks ago.  Don't have too much money to spend at them these days, but I definitely enjoy going to them, even if it means just walking around and taking in the sights, sounds and smells; and maybe taking some pictures.

Over the past week and a half or so, I have been trying to figure out how to move forward with everything here.  My December 19 flight was getting closer and still no job offers.  So, I figured it couldn't hurt to at least call the airline to see what I could do about changing my ticket to "open-ended" or what my options might be.  My residence permit is still good until January 9th, so I just wanted to "buy some time" to see if I could still find work before then.

Without boring everyone with the details of this pursuit of answers to approximately 3-4 questions, I spent from December 10th until the 18th trying to figure out how to proceed with my tickets.  I made a total of 13 calls with a grand total of about FOUR HOURS on the phone with representatives and waiting on hold. Apparently this airline has a call center in India.  I called through to the U.S. 800# because it was free for me to call over Skype.  Unfortunately, this particular call center's system did not recognize the numbers when it asked you to make a choice (choose "3" to change your ticket, for instance).  So, I was forced to speak with a "general information" line first, before I could be sent on to the correct unit, back here in Europe.

In the course of these phone calls, I was forced to deal with their reps that either flat-out lied to me, or they were just inexperienced; had reps just try to transfer me before trying to answer my questions; had my laptop crash on me, had one rep call me back because he couldn't hear me on Skype, called phone numbers in the US and Germany, etc. etc etc. As a person who has done customer service all of my career, I was appalled at how many times I received bad service during this experience.

Finally, I spoke with two young ladies that were very nice and helpful and got me the information I needed.  The second one, I had asked about the possibility of changing my ticket to January and informed her that I would be unable to pay for it at that time. This was less than 48 hours before my flight was to leave Berlin.  She took all of my information and said she would "notate the file" with the information.

So the next morning, I got up and went to the city hall and "unregistered" with them in preparation for my flight the next day.  I came home to choose my seat on the plane and for some reason I was unable to do it.  I was confused and frustrated because I knew that I could do it within 24 hours of the flight.  After fighting with the system for about 15 minutes, I finally noticed that the date of the flight had, in actuality, been changed by the last person I spoke with the previous day.  So I had to call back to see what I had to do, and they confirmed the ticket had, in fact, been changed. Now, also, I was on the line to pay the $275 fee to change the ticket. Ugh...

I didn't know whether to be upset or happy.  It had been such a challenge to get to this point, I didn't want to try to change it back (I didn't know if it was even possible to do that since it's the middle of the holiday season).  Please pray for the airline to waive the fee to change my ticket.  With all the hassle, this would be very welcome and helpful to my financial situation.

There had also been a farewell party planned for me for that evening which I had just sent out text messages to about 20 people to invite them.  Now, I had to un-invite everyone and change all my plans.  After everything had been taken care of, I decided that I needed to go out and pray and I ended up on on Lake Tegel and spent an hour or so there just praying.  I was emotionally drained, but at least encouraged that I could stay another 4 weeks or so.  I had a great prayer there, watching the sunset as I sat on a bench in the forest looking over the lake, seeing the lights of the city reflected on the water and watching planes taking off from the airport in the distance.  Didn't mean to pray in a place where I would watch planes taking off from, just sort of happened that way.

I don't believe I am a vindictive person and I really tried to be patient in dealing with the airline, but I felt the sheer amount of problems I had with the call centers (and issues with their technology) that I filed a complaint online.  A day or so later, I received a survey in my email.

I would like to mention here that as a customer service representative myself, I always try to give positive feedback, because I know how it can affect an employees pay, bonuses or kudos, so I take these things very seriously.  I took the survey and I was trying to be fair and honest, but the scores were extremely low.  I recognized the efforts of the representatives that were helpful, but was honest about the reps that weren't.

Now I have had to deal with the fact that I will not be able to have Christmas with my family in Seattle this year.  I was really starting to look forward to it, too.  I am, however, okay with it if I can find a job in the next few weeks.  I have been trying to remain hopeful that I will get a job soon, but I think I am going to try to spend a few more days in Munich to personally apply at hotels and other companies to see about finding work there. It's kind of my last hurrah (haven't I said that before?  LOL).  I will also be looking for work in Zurich, Switzerland as well, via the internet.

On the evening of my cancelled party, I did invite some people to come hang out and have dinner, so Matthias, Katja, Daniel, Jürgen, Ludmila and I went out to a restaurant and had a good time.  The next night, I talked to Katja (I had to call her back) and we were literally almost right across the street from each other. So we hung out and had a great conversation.  She and I are able to really challenge each other and we were able to talk through some of our concerns and we always come out on the other side better friends. I'm grateful for such good friends!!

I have also had to do some very deep soul-searching this week.  Recently, I have had people approach me with some difficult questions and even some accusations.  I have dug very deep on these issues, gotten advice, have brought them before God, and have had conversations with people (and still need to have a few more).  I believe that for now, I feel good with the decisions I have made and I feel confident before God that I have made them faithfully and though I know I am not perfect, I have gotten advice on my situation and how I can proceed in my life.  I must say that I'm very surprised about being able to stay until January now, and, God willing, I will be able to make the best use of my time and I hope and pray that God will bless me with a job, wherever that might be.

For now, I'm very grateful for what I have.  In a spirit of openness, I have to say that I am sad that I can't be with my family for Christmas, that I am unable to buy presents for friends and family, but I hope that you all understand that I love you and I will do my best to express to you how much I love all of you. I am grateful for the impact you have on my life and heart.  My not being there, or your not receiving a gift or a card from me does not mean that I don't care, but simply that I am unable to this year.

I will keep everyone up on the latest from me in the next few days or week.  I do intend to share my thoughts on this past year with you as well, which I am very excited to do.  In the meantime, enjoy your holidays, but don't forget to include people that need someone to care for them this year.  I have been invited to some friends for Christmas, but please make sure to honor God by loving the unloved this time of year.  Please find someone that would be encouraged to just be included in your celebrations of the holidays.

Rom. 12:13 -- Share with the Lord's people who are in need.  Practice hospitality.

Take care for now and thank you for all your words of encouragement and support. I'm grateful for all of you who have shown me so much love.  Merry Christmas!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment