Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 -- What. A. Year.!!!!

Wow, it's hard to believe that 2013 is ending in 24 hours!  With everything that's been going on lately, it's been difficult to really sit down and consider 2014.  Buuuuut... since I have rediscovered my love of writing, what better place and time to do that, than now, and on my blog?

My 2013 started out good, albeit a bit rough.  After over a year and a half of labor, sweat, tears and a ridiculous amount of time and effort and money, in January I was finally able to call my dining room and kitchen renovation "complete"!  What an accomplishment that was!  At 43, being obese and while working, was able to complete such a monumental task!  (With the help of others, of course: Ryan G, Mike S, Kent D, Sara A, Scott K, etc.)  Unfortunately, this did not mean an end to the work.... Still had to install windows, front door, front stairs, install a new water heater, refinish the shower stall, etc. In all, work ceased beginning of April, just before my departure from Spokane.

In February, I lost my job working for Xerox Commercial Solutions as a reservationist at Red Lion Hotels due to a severe flu.  Fortunately, God showed me that this was my green light to ramp up my efforts to move to Germany by April 1.

During February and March, I was involved in the selling of most of my personal possessions, including 4 vehicles.  I drove my 78 Honda Civic to Canada and sold it to another fan of these cars (and the trip was an adventure in itself), then sold my 84 Toyota van to a local skate shop owner-to-be, then my 1972 Honda N600 that I had owned for 15 years to someone who had not only been looking for one of these cars for a long time, but also didn't want to trick it out... exactly my dream for the car as well.  Then selling the 98 CR-V the day before I flew out (a TOTAL blessing from God).

I also had an "open house" style Yard Sale at my house, where people could come into my house and purchase pretty much anything I had.  Had extremely generous individuals even pay me additional after hearing of my dream. Then, after 8 years together, I had to say good-bye to my little buddy Wolfi.  Due to my financial status and my impending move, I had to give him away.  Once again, God came through!  He went to my neighbors, who had another dog, a bigger yard for him to run in and two humans to love him.  One of the owners wanted to get a German Shepherd, the other wanted a Border Collie.  Guess what two breeds Wolfi was....  God made that one super obvious and very encouraging for both myself and for him.  Thanks, God!!

Then came my going away party on March 29.  There was probably 40 people there and lots of Mexican food brought by the amazing Mackin family.  Much sharing and good memories from over a decade in Spokane brought me to tears.  Thereafter, much work to clear out my home, sell my furniture and store what I didn't bring with me. Thanks to Ryan and Tori, Don C and David M, and others that came to my rescue to help me clean my house and paint my living room during a time of complete and utter exhaustion.

Finally, on April 3rd, I finally said good-bye to Spokane and headed toward Seattle.  I spent 5 days with family and friends and then boarded on a plane to Berlin on April 8.  After 20 1/2 years, I finally arrived back in Germany on April 9!

Since then, there are too many wonderful stories to re-tell here.  Feel free to read my story in this blog.  I would however, like to share a few thoughts from the nearly 9 months since I have arrived here.

First of all, I prayed often before I came to Germany for the Berlin church.  These brothers and sisters of mine that I had never met before; would they accept me, or just think I'm a crazy American?  Either way, it became obvious to me very quickly that this group of men and women would not only accept me, but love me and challenge me like the family they are.

I am humbled and encouraged by the love and generosity of the disciples in this city.  I feel so accepted, even cherished by you.  You have been patient with me through two "going away" parties for me, even though I stayed.  You have shared your hearts with me, your lives, you have served me and fed me and even individually helped me financially and even with buying some clothing.  You have laughed with me and cried with me and just been there to be an ear.  No matter what happens in the next two weeks, my heart will always be with you and in this city.

This year, without a doubt, has been the most incredible year of my life.  Incredibly hard work, incredibly encouraging, incredibly challenging, incredibly faith-building and incredibly rewarding.  As I look back at this year, 2013, my heart swells with gratitude for the remarkable blessings of friendship and love, especially which I feel I have personally received from God.  I am incredibly humbled by the way he has blessed every aspect of my life here. I am encouraged and indebted to you for what you have allowed me to experience in this place that I love so dearly.  I just pray that in some small way, I have been able to impact the hearts of people here.  I just wish that I could have done more.  Father, I am also deeply sorry for the times and the ways that I have not trusted you, where I have tried to resume control of my life.  I come before you humbly to ask for your forgiveness.

This year has absolutely blown me away.  God has been so faithful and he has blessed every prayer I had, except just one.  Father, I ask in the next 7 days for a miracle. I know you are capable of doing it, I just ask that you would be willing to bless it as well.  Either way, I trust you and I put my life in your hands.  Please help me to not be anxious about anything and to pray fervently for your will.

So, at this time, my plan is to return to the US on Jan. 15 if I don't have a job by Jan. 8.  I have an appointment with the Foreigners Registration office on Jan. 9, where I will need to provide them my job information so that I might have the chance to stay.  Even if I have to return to the US, I believe that God still knows my heart for Germany, and God-willing, I will be able to return again soon.

2013 has been the most amazing year of my life, bar none!  I want to thank the readers of this blog, who have clicked on my blog nearly 6,000 times since April of this year. I'm encouraged by you and I hope that 2014 will be a new, fresh beginning in my saga.  I hope to be able to report a new job soon (again, God-willing) and can't wait to see what God will do with this mess of a man.

Happy 2014 everybody, please be safe!  Enjoy your celebrations, but make sure to give God the glory for the new year.  He is amazing, he is real and he loves you, wherever you are at.  Vaya con Dios!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love you, my dear brother, You inspire me and I am so blessed to have such. a dear friend to laugh with, to poke fun at, to talk to and who listens and speaks the truth in love to me. Where ever you will live. God will use you to impact others for Christ.
    And you certainly have made a difference here in Berlin. We are so blessed by you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katja! I really enjoy the banter we share. Thank you for being patient with me and with God through all of this. Whatever happens, I feel like I am the one who has been incredibly blessed through this experience, through the friendships and all the ways God has shown me his face.

    ReplyDelete