Monday, April 7, 2014

Job 'n Stuff

Well, I'm happy to report that I've started my job at the hotel and have been in training for the past two weeks.  I've been trained in areas of the hotel that my department has relationships with (reservations, restaurant, housekeeping, etc.) and it has been an interesting time.  I'm glad, however, that on Saturday, I was able to actually start doing my job.

It was a pretty busy day and one of the associates was out sick, so the person who was training me was filling in for them at the front desk.  As a result, I was on the phones, helping customers and coordinating assistance for the guests more or less by myself.  Actually, I think I did okay, and I really enjoyed it. I think this job is such a great fit for my skill set.  My job is a service position where guests call to a central number in the hotel to request everything from shampoo or towels for the rooms, any maintenance issues, room service, or just to ask information.

The job requires me to be in contact with pretty much every department in the hotel to have them deliver the item or service that the guest requires.  I really enjoy it because I love to be in customer service and I'm pretty organized usually and I think it will generally be a fun job.  The other thing I love about it is the people I work with.  They are super friendly and are so eager to help people.  And my co-workers seem happy.

The company also really seems to take excellent care of their employees.  You can tell by the relationships the people have with each other and the guests.  Management tries to work around any days off you request as well as try to get you 2 days off in a row (so you can hopefully have an actual "weekend").  I know it's not always going to be possible to get those requests, but they do want to try their best to make the employees happy.  That's huge for me.

The past week, however, has been a little challenging for me otherwise.  I'm getting used to a new schedule and a new place and physically I have been more tired than normal.  I have great roommates (the couple that's renting the room to me) and they have truly been so generous and loving.  But since I don't drive, I do feel a bit isolated here.  I know things are definitely going in the right direction and I'm very grateful for what I have, so I am trying to just be content.  I really have been blessed with an amazing job and an great living situation.

So I have been sort of knocking around the idea of trying to find a car.  I have been looking on craigslist for a car and most everything has been $1000 or more for basic, barely running cars.  I found an older car that I have been kind of looking at for the past few days and I assumed it had been sold, but this morning I got a call from the guy and he brought it over for me to look at and drive!!  I was amazed at the overall condition of this car.  It's 28 years old and a bit rough, but has actually been very well cared for.  It had decent power and everything worked on it, good tires and brakes, etc.  For $600!!!!

I don't have $600, and I hate asking for help, but I really do need a car just to get to the transit center (some days I have to be at work at 6am), the grocery store, to the gym (trying to start getting into shape), to church and to be able to be of more help in my ministry. If you feel so inclined, I have included a link if you would like to donate, but please don't feel obligated.  I believe if God wants me to have this car, he will make it obvious.

Thank you for checking in with me and I look forward to continuing to update on what's going on with me.  Thanks for your support and all the love you have shown me.  Have a great and productive week and make sure to love up on those that God has put into your lives.



1 comment:

  1. Hey Tim, I think the link is not working. Did you maybe forget to paste parts of it?

    ReplyDelete