Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What Do You Think? Social Experiment in Seattle

So, I had this idea, and I wanted to get your input on it.  I'm thinking of doing a social experiment with my friends in Seattle.  Here's the premise:  One week electronics and social media fast, but with a twist.  I am thinking about avoiding social media, TV, movies, etc., but to replace those "down time" activities with quality time with other people.

If we all tried to do it at the same time, it would give us the best opportunity to hang out with each other.  We would shun social media and the internet in general, no TV or movies, but would be a week for relationships:  with your family, spouse and kids, friends, co-workers, neighbors, building your relationship with God (prayer, reading, fasting, serving), etc. Obviously, if use do internet or social media for your job, it would be a matter of just refraining from them in your free time.  Texting would be okay but limited to your plans with people, normal family business, etc.

The goal is to clear our schedules to have time for each other, to spend time getting to know people better that you already know, and to make new friends as well.  I think it would even be great for married couples to have some special time together as well, or for a mom or a dad to have special one-on-one time with their kids. One requirement, however, would be to get time with one new person that you don't know well or at all (safely). The goal would be to have at least a few of these during the week.

One other thought.... I think it's super encouraging to make dinner for others, BUT, my challenge is to use the time to get to know each other better, not be super busy making a meal.  I would suggest getting coffee or go out for a walk, go out for food, or an activity that is conducive to being focused on the relationship.

So, seriously, I would like your input, especially for my friends in Seattle....  Let me know on facebook or by email, or text me, or write a comment on this post what you think. I would like to do it in a few weeks, maybe mid-September when people should be somewhat settled back into the fall school schedules AND it would give us time to set up those appointments by scheduling it a few weeks out.  I think it would be fun, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment