Saturday, May 4, 2013

Growing!

The past 3 1/2 weeks has been difficult in a lot of ways... that's okay though, because when we're just sitting on our back pockets, we don't grow, change or get out of our comfort zones.  I've been very encouraged this week because when I last lived in Germany, my German skills were excellent.  Well, after 20 years of non-use, amazingly they were still pretty good, but not great.  There were a lot of words and phrases that I have completely forgotten and others that I had just never learned.  Like spiritual words.  

My first Sunday at church here, I was befriended by a Swiss brother, Christian, and his wife. We had lunch that day and I shared about my life, experiences and hopes.  We had a great discussion and he asked me if I would like to pray with him.  So, for the last three weeks, we've been getting together on Friday mornings at 8a.m. to pray, and it's been super encouraging. At first, I had NO idea what to say in German when I prayed. But as time has gone on, I'm getting some confidence with it and I was even asked to pray during our devotional after the boat cruise on Wednesday.  During my prayer time with Christian yesterday, I had a really encouraging prayer...  I think I'm starting to get the swing of it a little bit now...  I'm very encouraged about that.

Also, yesterday I visited a Christian library here where some friends from church work.  There is a guy that comes in regularly who is from Iran and I have heard is of the Baha'i faith. I don't know too much about the Baha'i faith so it's been eye-opening to hear his views on God and Jesus and the Bible, to say the least.  It's very difficult to have a conversation with him because he loves to talk but doesn't listen very well.  He's also not considerate when other people talk, he calls people names and will not apologize when he's called out on being inconsiderate.  Either way, I bring this up because I had a conversation with him yesterday where I was able to discuss multiple bible topics with him in German.  Now, I have to be honest, I was not prepared to be able to do this.  AT ALL.  But Micah (who works at the library) said afterward that she was encouraged that I was able to discuss these topics in German and that she couldn't understand a word!!!  LOL  At any rate, I was very surprised and encouraged that God is allowing me to be able to have these kinds of interactions already.  

Last night at bible talk, one of the sisters gave a lesson that was just convicting!  She talked about many of the aspects of God and Jesus that I had discussed with my Iranian friend earlier.  Afterward, we had a great conversation about the different aspects of this and it was very deep. I love getting into conversations like this to discuss and to share convictions and hear each other's insights. One thing I've noticed here, is that the disciples here really get into the word a lot and they nearly always sing and pray together as well.  I really like that they worship so much here, it really endears me to them and hopefully they are becoming endeared to me as well.  I was able to share my heart a number of times during the discussion and it's starting to feel comfortable.  I hope this translates well into having job interviews!

So for the weekend, I've decided I need to get my act together.  When I was living in my house, I was pretty organized.  I knew where stuff was and I generally kept things pretty clean.  Here, my room is a mess!  I have to go through everything I have and organize.  I also just need to do some laundry and get rid of the chaos.  I don't do well with chaos.  I hope by Monday to be ready to look for work in earnest (though still daunting) and be ready to have some interviews!  Please pray!  

That's it for now, thanks for taking a moment to check in on me.  Remember, I love feedback and would be super encouraged to hear from you, answer any questions, etc.  Til next time!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Tim!

    My sister and her family are Baha'i. If you wanted to learn more about it, their doctrine and teachings should be spelled out on this page: http://www.bahai.org/faq/facts/bahai_faith.

    I will be praying for your job situation. I hope that God will make His path for you clear to you and that you can be brave as you follow it. :)
    Viel Glück!

    Debi H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your prayers and your encouraging comments. I really love feedback and I'm grateful you are reading!

    ReplyDelete