Monday, August 19, 2013

A Day of Destiny

The last few days have been a bit of a challenge.  After a very encouraging week last week, on Friday morning woke up and was starting to feel a little tickle in my throat.  When I came home on Thursday evening, I had to walk up about 2 1/2 flights of stairs, walked into the apartment completely out of breath, sweating, and just generally exhausted.  It seemed odd to me at the time because normally I wouldn't be that winded coming up the stairs to this apartment.  Well, Friday morning I got a call from one of the ladies at church. I had forgotten to open the library for them.  Again, not typical for me.  I apologized profusely and they figured out an acceptable alternative.  Sorry ladies, I really feel terrible for not being there for you.

So for the day, I just sort of took it easy and hoped that it would get better.  Unfortunately, it only got progressively worse.  I got a wicked sore throat and started to generally feel bad.  A really amazing brother had a barbecue on Saturday evening and I wanted to make sure I went, so that he felt supported and encouraged.  I stayed a couple hours, but they knew I hadn't been feeling well, so they understood when I left a little early.  I would have loved to have stayed longer though.  Food was amazing, and I hope I was okay company, I really wasn't feeling well and was not my normal talkative self.

And then, for the first time since I have arrived here, I missed Sunday service.  It was killing me because I missed Scott's sermon (which I should at least be able to listen to online in the next few days), and just generally missed having that fellowship with everyone.  Anyway, in the afternoon, got a bunch of calls from people, mostly about my housing situation that was announced at church, but also to see how I was doing. I was encouraged because that had not typically happened in the past.  I was very encouraged.

So, about my housing situation...  I have been generally so amazed by how God has really met and exceeded my expectations and answered my prayers since I have been here.  When I asked for a bike, I was offered two.  A third came up which I also received last week (see my last entry), which for all intents and purposes is brand new.  I have been living where I currently am for about 3 weeks now, thanks to Larry and Teri, for free while they have been away.  So, I have decided that I shouldn't worry about it, give it to God, and before I knew it, I have received two offers to stay with people for free at least for a few more weeks, possibly more. TWO offers....  I really don't know why I haven't tried doing this before.  God is SOOOO faithful, man I'm just so humbled by how God has really taken great care of me.  THANK YOU, GOD!!!!

Today I went to visit the first place that was offered to me.  It's a bit far away from most things, but really not that much further than where I was to start off with.  I'm certainly not complaining, it is a total blessing from God!!! I met with the person that is living in the apartment. First of all, let me say, this is a nice big apartment, overall very quiet and in a really wonderful part of the city.  I've been there before and have blogged specifically about it back in May, I think.  Anyway, got a chance to talk with the guy who's living there currently and we are both grateful for a brother who has made this place available for both of us.  This brother is incredibly sacrificial and generous, I'm humbled by his and this other person's willingness to allow me to stay there for a bit.  We will see exactly how long, but should be a decent amount of time.

Now to the reason I have named this post what I have.  There are just days when you wake up (in this case, sick!) and you look at your energy level and have serious doubts (LOL) about how much you will be able to accomplish, how things will go, etc.  Today was just one of those days that I really believe God wanted me to meet this person and have the conversation with him that I did.  He is also American, and he worked for a while as an English teacher, gave me some GREAT advice on where to put in my application, etc.  He also gave me some insight into some magazines and websites that would also help.  These are specific to Americans in Berlin and feel I would not have made these connections without this conversation.  I'm so grateful to God that not only do I feel like I have a new friend, but that He is really helping me move toward finding work!  Amen, I'll take that!!!

On a similar note, they say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different outcome.  Well, it's official, I'm insane.  :)  For some reason, I have continued to put out applications at hotels, from which I continue to receive denial after denial.  I have been specifically targeting reservations jobs because that is what I did before, but I am still getting denials.  This conversation today convicted me that I have just not given the English teaching the chance I need to.  One of the things this person told me was that so many companies hire Americans (and other native speakers) over others that speak it as a second language, for obvious reasons.  Anyway, I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the week.

I also had a bit of reflection time on the train today as well.  I was thinking what I was doing this time last year and I was kind of blown away. It was hot in Spokane and I was really working hard to get my kitchen put back together so I could have my house re-warming party in September.  Ryan laid the tile in the kitchen and dining room the first week of August last year (you're my hero, by the way!) and I remember that I was putting in a tremendous amount of time into it, so that I could not only have a kitchen and dining room to use, but also that I could have my party.  I worked incredibly hard during this time.  Since I'm not much a fan of really hot weather, this was not a particularly pleasant time for me, but I pushed through and God allowed me to get it done.  I remember Sara on the back patio with power tools, mixing the grout in the buckets and Ryan in the kitchen and dining room trying to make every tile perfect.  It was a very challenging time, but so many great memories.... September 9 will be one year since my house re-warming party.  Doesn't seem possible that it was nearly a year ago now.  Crazy....

Well, that's the latest here in Berlin.  Hope everyone has a great week and thanks for all your prayers.  I love you and miss all of you that I know.  I'm grateful for the rest of you that don't know me, and yet still tune in to see how I'm doing!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

1 Cor 1: 7-9 -- Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will also keep you firm to the end so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment