Friday, March 28, 2014

Perspective

As I was on the bus yesterday, I had a chance to think about some things.  On my way to the bus stop, which was only about 6 blocks, I was already starting to get some pain in my foot. Not horrible pain, but enough to cause me to limp a little bit.  I just felt like I was being pushed to the limit in more ways than just physically.  I have to be honest, I was starting to feel really exasperated with this, and some of the other challenges I feel I have been facing.

So I was thinking "where is God in all this, and why doesn't he see my suffering?"  I don't have questions like that very often, but it got me thinking.  First of all I believe nothing eludes God.  He sees everything, he knows everything.  He knows my strengths just as well as he knows my weaknesses.  He is constantly there beside me every minute.  I sort of liken it to helping your child ride a bike for the first time without the training wheels.  You give them a push and then you guide them for a bit, then you slowly release them and let them ride on their own.

Sometimes there are some things that we just need to push through.  They don't make sense, and the only thing you really have control over is your attitude and how you respond to things.  These are the times that show you what your character really is.  And just so there's no confusion, I am FAR from perfect in my responses to my challenges at times.  There are times I get frustrated or angry, sometimes I may even become impatient or unloving to someone because I feel overwhelmed, but I always try to say sorry to God and to anyone I have hurt.

So this is what I came up with.  No matter what I have to deal with, God is there. He is keenly aware of my circumstances.  Maybe he even sets them up.  Either way, challenges are not a bad thing.  Let me repeat that...  Challenges are NOT a bad thing. In fact, I think they do just the opposite: they build character.  So what I have determined is that our challenges are not just "not bad", but maybe they're perfectly set up for what we need to change in our characters.  This kind of blew me away when I really considered this.  How many obstacles am I willing to fight through to see my dreams realized?

Satan is a liar and a dream-stealer.  Again it comes down to that good vs. evil battle.  God is always cheering us on and Satan is just jeering us on, trying to convince us we can't do it, that it's too hard, or maybe even impossible.  He wants us to give up, give in, or worse yet, be in sin (anger, acting out, sexual sin, etc.).  In the book of Revelation, it talks about overcoming (in 2011, the NIV was changed so that it now says "victorious" instead of "overcomes"), 9 times it says to him who "overcomes" (or who "is victorious") and then it talks about the reward we receive for remaining faithful to the end.

I would like to encourage you that whatever challenges you are currently facing, don't be discouraged.  God knows your situation, he knows your heart and he will take care of your needs. But God wants you to grow through them, and to forgive if it deals with others that have hurt you. I believe God has found you worthy of suffering so that you can become even better.  Your only other choice is bitterness.  My prayer for myself and for you is that we choose wisely, seek counsel from spiritual advisors and trust God through it all.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.   -- James 1:2-4

Enjoy your weekend! Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment