Saturday, September 14, 2013

Lots to Consider

Well, it was a really beautiful sunny day in Berlin today.  I would usually not have a problem with that, but they promised 66 degress (18C) and it ended up being more like 74 (23C) which is all well and fine until ya have to put a on a suit and tie!  In all fairness, it really wasn't that bad, I was indoors for most of the time and when I left I could remove the tie and jacket.  Really enjoyed the amazing weather!

So I was able to go to the job fair today and learned a lot.  Without boring you with a lot of details, a few things I learned today: 1. It's illegal in Germany for a temp agency to get you work if you don't have a work permit FIRST, 2. I should have continued to apply for booking.com.  3. Who knew Paypal had really cool jobs in Berlin? 4. There is a website for people looking for work in Europe that speak multiple languages.

I also spoke with someone today that gave me some information on how to get my foot in the door (or at least speak to someone) in a specific company here in Berlin.  I was beyond excited about this part today because even though I looked on their website, I could not find any job listings anywhere. So I have a bunch of information that I am going to process in the next couple days.  One of the other things I noted about this particular job fair, is that a number of the companies represented today were hiring people for work in other cities and countries.  It got me to thinking that this might be a good time to try to find work in another European country for a while.  While it certainly is not a done deal at this point by any stretch of the imagination, it's an interesting concept.  Hmmm... maybe Ireland? :)

After the job fair I went to Connections and hung out with Larry and Teri for a bit before heading home for my Skype call with the bros in the US (and one in Canada), then I got back on the train into town to meet up with Christiana and also Darren W was in town, too!  We've been friends on fb for a few months now thanks to Johnny B, but had never actually met until today.  It was only about an hour, but it was great anyway.

As we were at the train station waiting for Darren's train to leave, the thought occurred to me that I can also ride the regional trains back home.  Since the station nearest where I live is one of the stops, I thought I'd give it a try, have a comfortable seat, and my monthly ticket can be used on those trains, too. (These trains even have restrooms on them!).  Anyway, what took me nearly 40 minutes earlier only took 15 minutes with this train!!!  I am definitely going to have to use that again!

So as far as my job search is concerned, I will continue to search for work in Berlin as well as some of these other places.  Berlin and/or Germany is definitely my dream, but I may simply have to put that part of it on hold if I am able to find work elsewhere.  Please pray for me to find exactly what I need and when I need it. I am finding that Berlin is a very difficult market to find work in, and as an American, is even more difficult. So, I have lots to ponder and lots of jobs to apply for this week. The possibilities provided today are really lots to ponder, in a good way.  Either way, I'll try to keep you all updated.

That's it, that's all. You may now return to your regularly scheduled.... whatevers....  Thanks for looking in and I'm sure I'll be writing again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment